Wednesday, January 31, 2007

ESL program and Equity

Reading Stone's chapter on equity reminded me of some thoughts I have had regarding policy towards minority groups in schools. I work at Logan High School as a "ESL aide," where I am involved in trying to enhance the educational opportunities available to students with a language barrier. Basically, in addition to some tutoring, my job consists of attending classes with the students, helping them take notes, translating, helping them get through assignments and tests, and any other needs that might arise. When I look at the situation though, I wonder how it might relate to the concept of equity.

Students in the ESL program at the high school appear to be getting a much larger portion of the cake when it comes to receiving individual attention and resources. They have the resource (unavailable to the "typical" students) of additional "helpers" attending class with them, helping take notes, and helping them with homework. Some aides will even take notes when the students "miss" class (although I am not one of them, I guess I am one of the mean ones), which in effect means they may get just as much info by not attending as they do by attending. In addition they have a separate computer lab set aside just for ESL students which have a much lower student to computer ratio. Also a special "study skills" class has been designed just for ESL students, which in effect is simply a free hour for them to work on homework, which is not available to other students in the school. These are just a few of the resources available. In short, I think there could be a definite argument about the equity of this scenario in Logan High School, and it is interesting to look at.

Having said that, however, I do want to state that I am in no way against the program in place at LHS. I actually do think that the program has been very beneficial and that it is important in the school. Besides, without it I wouldn't have a job!

2 Comments:

Blogger green7 said...

It is very interesting to hear all of the privilages ESL students have that other students do not. I wonder what kind of complaints, or lack there of, the school recieves because of these extras? I believe it is necessary to help out the students who have language barriers and need extra assisstance in order to obtain the average education, but at what expense to the taxpayer? Where do we draw the line between compassion for those who need extra help, and the taxpayer's dollar that ends up paying for that extra help? Public schools cannot deny children admission because they cannot speak english; therefore, are these extra computer labs, note takers and such a necessity that benefits both the children who need help and the other children in the school. By that I mean by seperating them, are we achieving the best system for both groups?

5:27 PM  
Blogger Brooks Larsen said...

This posting about ESL students reminds me about what I read a while ago about Affirmative Action. Policies regarding "minorities" is problematic because it is hard to decide whether they need these extra "handouts" on an individual basis. Maybe a study or something like that involving ESL students with and without these extra handouts would help in assessing whether equity issues really exist.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home