Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Local Zoning Policy

For the past couple of weeks I've been following a case of zoning enforcement for converted apartments in Logan, and the way in which the argument has been framed is actually quite fascinating, worthy even of munger's framing discussion.

In short the two sides each frame their argument in very different ways. The property owner in question has framed their discussion of the apartment in terms of property rights, with the central question being one of a takings issue by government. The city on the other hand has framed the discussion in two ways the first being equality of enforcment and the second the preservation of the historic core of cental logan.

The way in this has been framed by both sides can really influence the gut reaction to the policy. Everyone wants laws enforced fairly, and most everyone wants to see the historic core of central logan preserved, on the other hand most everyone expresses a firm support for property rights.

The framing of this issue is simply fascinating, and in the end this issue like many others will be decided mainly by how the arguments are framed and which version of the same facts are most palitable to both the public and the city council.

Additional Information

Logan Zoning Maps

Logan City Grandfathering Code

Herald Journal Article 5/16/04

Jay Nielson Community Development Director Podcast

Steven Lucherini Property Owner Podcast

7 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Beaver Mountain said...

It’s amazing how political the framing of policy is and how dependent its outcome will be on how it was framed. I find great satisfaction in well framed policy wither I agree with it or not. It seems to be an art that some groups have and some don't.

10:38 AM  
Blogger TBennett said...

I am not sure I share Derek's enthusiasm about "well framed policy." I do agree that it is impressive to read an argument that is well stated and convincing. I am often worried, however, about how often a policy wins simply because it sounds good while the reality is that it may not be the best option. I suppose it is particularly troubling when I don't feel I have a sufficient grasp on the issue to make an educated choice regarding it.

7:55 PM  
Blogger TBennett said...

I struggle with blogger. My previous comment I accidentally published before I was finished.

Continuing then I wanted to add that I think this situation of not fully understanding policy proposals, which leads to simply choosing the most "convincing" argument is a common scenario, and I wonder how often it leads to the implemenatation of a less favorable policy. I suppose it is more often than we would like to believe.

Despite my worries, however, I must admit that I do enjoy participating in a discussion when I feel I have the upper hand in framing the argument. It makes the discussion a lot of fun.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Mr. Beaver Mountain said...

Tim I think you’re right about poor policy being enacted because it was framed well. I think the Bush administration does an amazing job of framing policy, wither it is good or bad (which is a matter of opinion). This often plays out in the naming of legislation. The Healthy Forest Restoration Act and the Clean Skies Initiative are cases in point. Great names, who doesn't want healthy forests and clean skies, but in reality these policies are dubious at best.

12:50 PM  
Blogger mgreen62 said...

I think that framing a policy, in a way, is what attorneys do everyday. They take the circumstances of a situation and apply legal argumentation on behalf of their clients interests. The position is not the best or the "right" one but the attorney make an art of framing.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Lihua said...

Anyone proposing a policy will always try to frame it the way to his ends, even though he never learns Munger’s theory at all. The practice of policy analysis itself is like a trick. It is hard to tell a policy is good or bad, and most of the time, to keep doing things is a good thing, like they need the Healthy Forest Restoration Act and the Clean Skies Initiative – actually I have no ideas of what it contains, as to show their concern about environment even though it does not work well.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Brooks Larsen said...

The way a policy is framed can be viewed in the light of public interest. As we talked about in class today, the public interest is hard to define because it can mean a lot of different things. Hence, the framing of a policy is going to vary because a person's specific idea of what constitutes the public interest will be different than others. According to one person's idea of what the public interest is, the framing ought to be "this" way. So a consensus or agreement must be had of what constitutes the public interest before we can all agree on how a policy should be framed.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home